In our experience, people with aphasia gain most from Dyscover once they have progressed through an individual Speech and Language Therapy programme, and have reached a point where they might benefit from peer support and help to generalise communication skills into a more functional group environment.
We are always happy to discuss potential referrals, and if therapy is recent or ongoing, how we can support patients’ functional communication goals.
Click here for information about our group times and locations.
Click here for information about our exciting new 5 year project funded by the Big Lottery Fund.
Referring someone to Dyscover – useful information
- We ask that all referrals have acquired aphasia and no significant additional cognitive disorder. People with the deteriorating condition Primary Progressive Aphasia may be able to benefit from our service – please discuss with us before referring.
- We help people with all levels of severity and types of aphasia.
- There is no age or geographical restriction .
- Our centres are accessible and we welcome wheelchair users, but we are unable to provide personal care, so require our members to be independent in the toilet.
- Referrals to our Kingston group may be eligible for social services transport, but referrals to Walton are responsible for making their own transport arrangements.
- Please download and complete our referral form and email to email@example.com, or post to us.
- One of our Speech and Language Therapists will make contact by phone.
- If the individual seems suitable for Dyscover, he or she is invited to visit our centre for an informal assessment. A relative or carer is encouraged to attend this meeting with them.
- The next step is an invitation to join a group for a free trial period, after which membership for the rest of the term may be offered.
- All members pay a small termly fee which contributes to the cost of running our service.
To discuss an individual referral please contact Rosemary Townsend, Manager of Professional Services, firstname.lastname@example.org / 01737819419